Post Pictures of your Transformers, Let's see 40 years worth of Transformers!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's funny. The whole backstory of Optimus and Megatron having once been friends and allies who were as close as brothers, before later falling out over clashing ideologies (and Megatron thinking Optimus betrayed him when it was he, instead of Megatron, who was chosen to be the next Prime), that the Aligned lore was built upon (and which TF One is reusing) all seems to have been derived from a single throwaway line of dialogue spoken by Optimus in the 2007 movie, when he looks over the deceased body of Megatron: "You left me no choice, brother."

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's funny. The whole backstory of Optimus and Megatron having once been friends and allies who were as close as brothers, before later falling out over clashing ideologies (and Megatron thinking Optimus betrayed him when it was he, instead of Megatron, who was chosen to be the next Prime), that the Aligned lore was built upon (and which TF One is reusing) all seems to have been derived from a single throwaway line of dialogue spoken by Optimus in the 2007 movie, when he looks over the deceased body of Megatron: "You left me no choice, brother."
It really isn't a bad idea though. I think it adds to their struggles as characters. I think if it is done right (and from what I've seen, TFOne seems to do), it can really be compelling to the whole lore of Autobots and Decepticons.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It really isn't a bad idea though. I think it adds to their struggles as characters. I think if it is done right (and from what I've seen, TFOne seems to do), it can really be compelling to the whole lore of Autobots and Decepticons.
I just find it funny that the whole thing was seemingly built out of something originally so insignificant and inconsequential. Just a measly throwaway line.

And that it's never explored again in any of the other live-action movies, despite the first film being where it came from in the first place. Not even a casual/mocking, "Hello, brother!" whenever the two meet again in either ROTF or DOTM.

It's almost as if somebody just snuck the line in there into the first movie without anyone else ever noticing.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I just find it funny that the whole thing was seemingly built out of something originally so insignificant and inconsequential. Just a measly throwaway line.

And that it's never explored again in any of the other live-action movies, despite the first film being where it came from in the first place. Not even a casual/mocking, "Hello, brother!" whenever the two meet again in either ROTF or DOTM.

It's almost as if somebody just snuck the line in there into the first movie without anyone else ever noticing.

Also, stuff like this:

makes me think it's less that it was a throwaway line that snuck in, and more an idea that got cut down late in the process, ending up with just the one line left in the final movie. Kind of like how DotM was supposed to end with Megatron leading the Decepticons back to Cybertron under a truce, until Bay decided to have Optimus give him an axe to the head instead.

Dake

Citizen
Did the idea of Prime and Megatron being old friends really not predate the live-action movies? I though it went further back than that. Wow.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Did the idea of Prime and Megatron being old friends really not predate the live-action movies? I though it went further back than that. Wow.
It's not like every continuity was like Sunbow, with Megatron trying to kill Optimus at their first meeting. I believe Marvel UK had them knowing each other as rival gladiators. I remember G2 having Optimus muse about how he'd always hoped Megatron could be brought to work for the good of Cybertron, kinda hinting at some level of respect at least, if not friendship. But yeah, I don't recall any real substantial relationships between them prior to the 2007 movie.

It's easy to forget almost 20 years later, but there wasn't that much to the franchise at that point. We had Marvel and Sunbow flavors of G1, BW/BM that didn't really feature them, RiD, the Unicron Trilogy, and Dreamwave (which felt like a Superman Returns approach to Sunbow G1, kinda following the early parts of it in spirit while ignoring the later stuff).

As best I can recall, that bit in the 2007 movie and its media was the first time hinting at anything more than maybe respect and rivalry between them. And then IDW and Aligned really established the idea of them having been friends before the war.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Wait.
I could have sworn that Megs and Optimus being "as close as brothers" or even actually being brothers was part of the original story that became the first live action film, and even made it into some supplementary material before being reduced to just that one throwaway line in the final script.

I think it only goes back to the first Bay movie. I remember reading about Megs and Optimus being "brothers" and thinking "oh that's a neat twist."

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Prior to the 2007 movie, there had been other faction leaders who had been childhood friends before becoming enemies (e g. -Star Saber and Deathsaurus in the Victory manga, Fire Convoy and Gigatron in the Car Robots toy catalog bios), and Armada Megatron got really sad and grumpy when Optimus died in the Armada cartoon (suggesting that they might have had a prewar history, but that was never elaborated on beyond Megatron being glum about Optimus's death).

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Eh, they just took the idea from the Challenge of the Gobots episode "Et Tu, CyKill?". Or possibly Revenge of the Sith.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Were they friends? I always understood it as "they always fought even when younger"
I could be misremembering. I'll have to take another look at the text.
Pulled out my catalog + transcriptions and found the text in question:

ファイヤーコンボイとは幼なじみで、永遠のライバル。

Google translation: "He is Fire Convoy's childhood friend and eternal rival."

DeepL translation: "He and Fire Convoy are childhood friends and eternal rivals."

Of course, this was neither said not ever hinted at in the show itself. Just that they knew each other a long time.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
this is the 'post pictures of your transformers' thread why are we not posting pictures of our transformers!!!!

IMG20240719022216007.jpg

pls ignore my stupid friggin cat thanks

IMG20240719022228463.jpg

my stupid friggin cat does this with everything of mine btw

Top Bottom