Power Rangers General Discussion Thread

wentwood

Citizen
Well back in 2012 Shout Factory put MMPR - RPM on DVD so I got the 4 boxed sets and was watching them in order.

After I get close to done with one I start the next one.

I got the boxed sets in 2013 - 2014.

Lionsgate sets were picked up through Super Ninja Steel.

I saw Beast Morphers and Dino Fury on Netflix and Once And Always on You Tube.

I plan to hold till Cosmic Fury is up on You Tube.

I have the DVDs on MMPR - Super Ninja Steel as Netflix no longer airs them.

The older episodes are going up on You Tube.

wentwood

Citizen
I didn't have cable up til Power Rangers Mystic Force. Then lost it during Samurai Part 1.

I watched the Nick era on DVD up to Super Ninja Steel and streamed Beast Morphers and Dino Fury on Netflix.

I saw MMPR - Space Patrol Delta on DVD.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm nonplussed, and caught up in all the uncertainty surrounding the brand right now. This sort of cloud comes back over the brand every now and then, and it's had numerous "this is the last season", "the brand is done", etc production moments in its history. But knowing that doesn't make me less anxious.

It's a shame, too, given how nicely the train was chugging along for a few years there. Lightning Collection, for all its flaws, has been exactly what I want in a toyline in many ways, and I recently started watching Dino Fury and it's quite charming as a show and makes me want to see more. (On LC all they've apparently officially said is it's on pause and will continue; there'll be a live stream in September where we'll find out more? I imagine it must be a decent money maker, although they do have lots of not-as-evergreen ground to cover still.)

And of course there's just the desire to see this keep going as it is in general, with the great-looking Sentai stuff they've yet to adapt, and with the recent shows (I'm only really familiar with Dino Fury) showing that they can do so much now with original footage. And NZ has been such a good base to do all this in.

I've encountered theories that it's a year or so break to work on a relaunch, which has me concerned if only because change on such a scale is always a gamble. But brands are resilient, and it would be easy enough to go back to what works if a new tack doesn't.

Shadewing

Citizen
I just want Hasbro to do what they do with TFs, and have some Japanese developers involved in this. That was the major downside to the last reboot. Get some kinda partner ship with some poeple used to working on Sentai to help with the direction.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I dunno. My only real basis is Dino Fury since I just got started watching that after having not watched regularly in like 20+ years, but even with that being mostly original stuff (having the costumes to work with, having in-house cgi for most other stuff) rather than mostly writing around Sentai footage, it turned out pretty good.

I do hope they don't just reboot from the top, as one of the best thing ABOUT Power Rangers has been it continuously being new rather than re-versions of itself (I likewise had zero interest in the MMPR reversioning). Even and especially amidst a landscape of other brands just cannibalizing their own history rather than building forward.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
We still have the comics! For me, that's enough to fill the void, at least in the short term. And, as far as we know, the comics should be continuing for a while. We are gearing up for another big event, but I don't think it's going to be the the grand finale. And the comics have tried to introduce a few new Ranger teams in the books. So there is a slight attempt to not completely go all in on nostalgia alone. I really don't know if we're ever going to move past MMPR or not, though. None of the other stuff really feels like it sticks.

They MIGHT be setting up Trini's daughter Minh as leading a new generation of MMPR inspired Rangers. If they're basically going to try and do a darker take on MMPR, I'm not sure how I feel about that. But, I guess that's basically what the comics are, and I enjoy those. So, if they can get a similar feel, I guess that could be alright.

I am REALLY interested in seeing how Cosmic Fury goes, though. Because that'll probably inform what we have to look forward to. One way or another.

In other news, we DID get the full trailer for Jason David Frank's Legend of the White Dragon.

...As well as one that has a little bit of a look at the movie iteself. Including some...guests, let's say. (It basically has the first 5 minutes of the movie in there, so spoilers, if you care about that)

Some of these lines are a little on the nose. Probably on purpose, but...yeah.

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We still have the comics! For me, that's enough to fill the void, at least in the short term. And, as far as we know, the comics should be continuing for a while. We are gearing up for another big event, but I don't think it's going to be the the grand finale. And the comics have tried to introduce a few new Ranger teams in the books. So there is a slight attempt to not completely go all in on nostalgia alone. I really don't know if we're ever going to move past MMPR or not, though. None of the other stuff really feels like it sticks.

They MIGHT be setting up Trini's daughter Minh as leading a new generation of MMPR inspired Rangers. If they're basically going to try and do a darker take on MMPR, I'm not sure how I feel about that. But, I guess that's basically what the comics are, and I enjoy those. So, if they can get a similar feel, I guess that could be alright.

I am REALLY interested in seeing how Cosmic Fury goes, though. Because that'll probably inform what we have to look forward to. One way or another.

I love that the comics have been so strong and inventive and bonkers. It's never going to be quite the same level of brand-building and keeping it in the public eye as a mainstream show (as Transformers has likewise illustrated well), but they keep the wheel turning with nice juicy lore and concepts to mess with that can feed into the main stuff down the line. Here's hoping that keeps going.

I'm with you in that nothing seems to 'stick' (even the comics developments are generally rooted in MMPR and spiral out from there), but I'm well outside the level of familiarity I'd need to be able to speak with confidence on that. What is Power Rangers' "Beast Wars" or "Armada" or even "2007 movie", a reboot that over time has come to be as prominent and mentioned in the same breath as the first installment? Genuine question.

But then, new teams and such has essentially been what Power Rangers is, so I'm fine with that. And it doesn't need to be a phenomenon, really, just keep things profitable and interesting (easy enough for the formula to accomplish) and keep that niche fed. It'll reach who it needs to reach, one hopes.

I'm iffy on a darker feel, though. That's rarely, if ever, done well or satisfyingly. This doesn't need to be Arrow or Riverdale, or I guess the comics in a way.

In other news, we DID get the full trailer for Jason David Frank's Legend of the White Dragon.

...As well as one that has a little bit of a look at the movie iteself. Including some...guests, let's say. (It basically has the first 5 minutes of the movie in there, so spoilers, if you care about that)

Some of these lines are a little on the nose. Probably on purpose, but...yeah.

I may watch this out of curiosity, but idk. I'll always love the guy for his role in my late childhood, but this whole "stepping away from the brand... to make essentially the brand with the serial numbers filed off and super edgy cool" never really hooked me.

But oh, neat, some friends. And the CHAIRMAN!

Shadewing

Citizen
I may watch this out of curiosity, but idk. I'll always love the guy for his role in my late childhood, but this whole "stepping away from the brand... to make essentially the brand with the serial numbers filed off and super edgy cool" never really hooked me.

But oh, neat, some friends. And the CHAIRMAN!

From what I recall, this started life as JDF wanting to make an actual PR solo film for his character, that would have been aimed the older fans of the franchise; but he kept being turned down while fans continued to show support. So he eventually decided to go the 'brand x' route to try to make the movie he wanted to do and fans seemed to want.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I mean, in a lot of ways this movie looks like a "World of the Coinless" movie, just in general tone and a few of the ideas. So, I could totally see this evolving from a pitch for a "Drakkon" or "Soul of the Dragon OGN" movie.

What is Power Rangers' "Beast Wars" or "Armada" or even "2007 movie", a reboot that over time has come to be as prominent and mentioned in the same breath as the first installment? Genuine question.

Oh, the fans definitely have their favorites. And a few have been fairly important to the brand. None of them are really "reboots", except one, but they basically start over from scratch most seasons and past shows usually don't have much impact on each other.

Just for the sake of argument:

The "Beast Wars": I'd go with In Space. It reignited interest in a brand that was on it's last legs, and showed that the show could have a more serious plot. And it basically kicked off a new golden age for the show. A fun show with memorable characters and villains and a really memorable ending.

The "Armada": In my mind, Armada was memorable for it's toy gimmicks and designs, so we have to go with a installment that had really memorable toys. And to me...that's the Ranger Keys from Super Megaforce. It's definitely not a good SHOW, but everyone loves those Ranger Keys. (Just...watch Gokaiger instead, if you have the option). If instead, we want to go with the "bringing the Japanese feel to American shores" aspect of Armada, then I'd go with Time Force. Time Force is a VERY faithful translation of the original Sentai version, keeping most of the plots. Time Force is also VERY good, being my personal favorite series (possibly because of nostalgia).

The "2007 Movie": It'd be REALLY easy to just say the 2017 Movie. It features "trouble teens" and re-imagines the original show for a new generation. And even the designs of the Zords feel like they were inspired by the Bay Transformers Movies. But, if we go with what the 2007 TF Movie WANTED to be, I think I have to mention RPM. RPM is the Ranger show with the most serious plot and is probably largely considered "the best one" by the fandom. It has a darker story and a few twists on the formula, like the "main character" NOT being the Red Ranger this time. And some of the jokes and characters still get referenced nowadays.

Dino Thunder, SPD, Jungle Fury, and Beast Morphers are all solid seasons, too. And Dino Charge's cast is really charming, even if the show itself is so-so to me personally.

But, the trinity of RPM, Time Force, and In Space are usually near the top of most people's lists.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I'd probably consider Ninja Storm to be the Armada of Power Rangers in that it was the first series to really feel so different in look and tone from everything that came before (largely thanks to the switch from LA to New Zealand, the new music, and the more comedic writing of the show; I'd even argue that Shane, Dustin, and Tori were even similar in personality to Rad, Carlos, and Alexis), like how Armada was the first TF series to be fully disconnected from all of its predecessors.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm WAY behind on the comics, and desperately need to catch up (I think the constant changing of names and different series and stuff has screwed up my comic shop's pull list for them, so that's part of it). But from what I've seen, it seems to "fill in the cracks" that the TV show left behind in so many ways, and I kind of like that use for ancillary media. Being able to produce new stuff that makes it big, like Lord Drakkon, is just icing on the cake.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Meh.. The Comics just seem... really badly fanficy to me.

Like a lot of Furman style stuff, which is a big no to me.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I really liked the Free Comic Book Day "Ranger's Academy" story. I tried to look up the actual book only to find it wasn't out yet and didn't even have a scheduled release windo wich was a bummer.

-ZacWilliam, Only really got into Rangers watching Beast Morphers with my son and listening to the Morphin' Grid podcast but that looked enjoyable.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I really liked the Free Comic Book Day "Ranger's Academy" story. I tried to look up the actual book only to find it wasn't out yet and didn't even have a scheduled release windo wich was a bummer.

The first issue will be out in October.

Mind, I'm not sure if this first issue is a reprint of the FCBD story or not. We'll have to see about that. Flip through it before you buy it, if you remember. We might have to wait until November to get actual new content.

It IS a oddly long wait between the FCBD issue and the actual release of the series it was promoting. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that.

wentwood

Citizen
I managed to get caught up on Power Rangers Via Shout Factory , Lions Gate and Netflix.

All I read for comics was Shattered Grid from MMPR.

MrBlud

Citizen
Amazon has Shout’s Super Sentai Zyuranger DVD set for a downright reasonable $20 (as opposed to the $55!?! MSRP)

Picked myself up a copy.

wentwood

Citizen
I own up to Deka from Shout Factory.

Deka had dropped in February on Shout Factory DVD.

Last edited:

Top Bottom