Random Thoughts From Out of Nowhere

Destron D-69

at Journey's end
Citizen
I mean to be fair, we're only assuming it hurts... it might feel okay.... I'm not going to try growing back an arm any time soon to find out though.

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
In the first movie, Rogue specifically asks Wolverine if the claws hurt when they come out and he said every time. I mean, he is a badass and he never hesitates to use them.

Maybe pain tolerance is just relative. Still, dang!

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
IMG_2597.gif

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Last time I had a five year plan... It didn't go well. At all. Within the first year, I had lost -- or had taken from me -- almost everything I cared for.

That was a long time ago, mind, and I'm much better now, but yeah, for a good while afterwards I remained more than a little leery of medium or long term planning.

"Keep your eyes on the horizon and you won't see the pothole in front of you," that sort of thinking.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My life was basically destroyed in a series of terrible events but I feel weirdly content. Just give me one really good meal and I'm happy for days.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Someone: I can't do [insert thing here] on Windows, Windows sucks.

Windows users: Yeah

Someone: I can't do [insert thing here] on Mac, Macs suck.

Mac users: Yeah

Someone: I can't do [insert thing here] on Linux, Linux sucks.

Linux users: NO IT ******* DOESN'T YOU ******* MORON. You can do this on Linux and it's EASY you pea-brained piece of shit!!! All you have to do is open the terminal and run the command sudo someconvolutednonsense and then enter in the command somebullshit and then wait for it to run and then somemorebs -y to enable this feature and then go to github and clone this repository and run it through the terminal to enable these commands and then restart your computer because enabling this requires you to restart your PC for it to actually take effect, it's that ******* easy you ******* dumbass!!!!!! GOD IDK why people still use Windows, Linux is SO MUCH EASIER!!!!!

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm mad at Microsoft right now for breaking all my virtual machines, but I agree.

I was actually enjoying Linux while it lasted, but that's only because I stopped listening to advice and just used the Root account for everything.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I love Linux but I also think a very loud number of Linux users genuinely do not understand that there is a reason why the GUI took over as the dominant way to interact with your computer over a CLI.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They like the CLI because it's fast. But it's only fast because they've memorized all the commands to set up their computer. But they've only memorized all the commands to set up their computer because they're having to do it every day, because they keep breaking their installs and have to start over.

I set up my desktop once every 11 years. If there's anything slower about the way I do it, it totally doesn't matter.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I'm gonna be doing a clean install of Linux Mint in the next couple of weeks, not because anything is broken or anything but I'm currently running 21.3 and Mint 22 came out a week ago and the recommendation is to do a clean install for a major release and the upgrade tool for minor releases.

I'm gonna wait a couple weeks because I just wanna be sure that there's no major bugs and shit to deal with.

Gonna archive and backup my home folder (all 178 MBs of it lol - most of my shit is stored on my other drives), put it on one of my other SSDs, and like...yeah.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was using Alpine before the last Windows update broke everything. I don't get why it's generally not recommended as a desktop, even in Linux circles. It's the first distro I felt I was really getting along with.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
From what I understand, Alpine was designed for servers and not desktop use originally + it doesn't have a large community of users (so there's less documentation and guides and people to recommend it) + there's issues with app compatibility.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Nothing about it seemed particularly more server centric than anything else Unix based. The admittedly lackluster installation process does offer stock DEs, and I was able to get Chicago95 working without any hiccups.

I want an extremely lean system that has just the packages I want and nothing else, but those packages have to include a GUI and browser that's been updated sometime this decade. Alpine seemed to be the best available option.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Just to quote a random post I found about it:
There are multiple reasons:
  • It is musl-libc based, if you are only installing packages from the alpine repo, it won't be a problem. But if you start using binary packages, they may not work, or be difficult to make work (alpine has glibc if you really want..)
  • It is not systems based, it probably does not apply to you as you explicitly want OpenRC. But some (more and more?) typical desktop applications (desktop environment?) that rely on systemd. Alpine will probably never support systemd, and it's actually systemd's fault, because they rely on non-posix glibc-ism and they explicitly refuse patches to make it work with musl-libc.
  • As alpine is mostly used for lightweight container, there is not that much effort on desktop libs/apps. But it is much better than some years ago. At least all most common desktop apps made it in the repo.
So if all apps you want are available/working on Alpine, there is absolutely no reason to not use it as a desktop. It depends on your use case.

Top Bottom