Sonic The Hedgehog

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I'm in a weird situation where I don't want to reply since I haven't watched the video but I actively don't want to click the link because I don't want to give ad revenue to something that looks like misleading clickbait.

I was of the understanding that the common knowledge was that Shadow's self titled game mostly exists because people were sending Sonic Team letters saying Sonic should use a gun and, after initial reservations, they gave Shadow a gun instead. The 'E-10' rating didn't exist when development started and once it was implemented, key changes to the game were made. Namely, alien blood was no longer red and they altered what was and wasn't shown when Maria was shot. Amount of profanity may have been a change but that might not have survived to launch even with a higher rating.

Fun fact: Due to the second player controls that exist in some Sonic games, this is the one game where you get to play as Maria.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Was just about to post that.

The music chosen for the trailer makes me think of the song Footloose.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I'm in a weird situation where I don't want to reply since I haven't watched the video but I actively don't want to click the link because I don't want to give ad revenue to something that looks like misleading clickbait.
You've basically summed up my relationship with all of YouTube in a nutshell. It's led to an awkward situation where I end up just blindly believing the opposite of whatever any video that looks like clickbait is trying to claim—which, if I'm honest with myself, is no less of an intellectually lazy knee-jerk reaction than doing the opposite.

The 'E-10' rating didn't exist when development started and once it was implemented, key changes to the game were made. Namely, alien blood was no longer red and they altered what was and wasn't shown when Maria was shot. Amount of profanity may have been a change but that might not have survived to launch even with a higher rating.
I'm confused about the connection you're trying to make here. Why would the addition of a new rating between E and T make them want to tone their edgy game down more? Is it because they realized T suddenly has more clout than it used to, so they don't have to chase a rating any higher than that?

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I'm confused about the connection you're trying to make here. Why would the addition of a new rating between E and T make them want to tone their edgy game down more? Is it because they realized T suddenly has more clout than it used to, so they don't have to chase a rating any higher than that?

Because they didn't actually want to make it that edgy. I wish I remembered the exact sources so I could point to them but it's a mix of known fact from beta leaks and general speculation. Worth noting that even in other Sonic games with dark moments, they don't even remotely feel like this.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's like what movies went through when they suddenly weren't going to get away with certain things at PG anymore, but they didn't want to go all the way to R.

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
So question for those who know. Because I work at a TV Station, I used to Saturday morning cartoons, when there used to be Saturday morning cartoons. One of these was Sonic X. Now I only know what little bits I've seen, meaning since I was working at the time didn't always mean full episodes.

So here's my question. How many seasons are there? Amazon Prime has 3 seasons up for streaming for free. But they also have the entire series on Bluray for $56. If there's only 3 seasons, I'll just watch it for free. But I don't want to get to the end of the third season only then to find I need to get the bluray set to see the rest of the show, but maybe it's gone up in price.

Suggestions?

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
The streaming is dub. For Bluraythey have a dub version and a sub version, but they're different sets.

As to whether it's the 4Kids dub or some other dub, I don't know, but I would have to assume it's the 4kids dub.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
For what it's worth, the 4Kids dub is far from their worst work. It got flak because it wasn't the Dreamcast cast, not because it was actually bad.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I don't think anyone's going to dispute that.

Eh, in some places you can run into the dreaded sub vs dub debate and people who don't acknowledge that with Standards & Practices of the time, no cuts means no show at all.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Eh, in some places you can run into the dreaded sub vs dub debate and people who don't acknowledge that with Standards & Practices of the time, no cuts means no show at all.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it was for every anime that aired on FOX and The WB. Toonami and Adult Swim got away with more uncut dubs because Cartoon Network wasn't as strict as terrestrial television networks were/are. Both Saban and 4Kids censored as much as they did because of BSNP of FOX and WB, which even affected American-made series like 90s Spider-Man and Power Rangers.

Top Bottom