Studio Series 86 Appreciation Thread

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
All this does is make me long for the days when they weren't so focused on doing the Sunbow G1 models as toys.

I want to go back.

Please.
But back then is when fans were whining and demanding that Hasbro focus more on doing the Sunbow G1 models as toys. ;)

Undead Scottsman

Citizen
Yes, its such a shame that the line that focuses on screen accuracy, is in fact, focusing on screen accuracy. What is the world coming too?
To be fair, Studio Series was once the least G1 line that Hasbro had and it's not a surprise people are a little miffed that it's just become yet another venue for G1 toys, to the point of getting multiple redos of figures that already got toys recently in WFC. (Ironhide/Ratchet, Arcee, Ultra Magnus, now Optimus) while there's still a ton of movie figures that haven't gotten anything yet.

Shadewing

Citizen
To be fair, Studio Series was once the least G1 line that Hasbro had and it's not a surprise people are a little miffed that it's just become yet another venue for G1 toys, to the point of getting multiple redos of figures that already got toys recently in WFC. (Ironhide/Ratchet, Arcee, Ultra Magnus, now Optimus) while there's still a ton of movie figures that haven't gotten anything yet.

Considering the Rarity of things like Earthrise Ironhide/Ratchet, Prowl; how bad Earthrise Arcee was; they kinda made sense to get redos. Ultra Magnus also being more animation then Toy based, when Kingdom had that element covered, also feels like its worth it. Plus there's a limited amount of characters they can do from the 86 movie. I'm hoping they give us more Stand alone Cassettes for Soundwave; since WFC Ravage is horrible. And people really seem to want a bird-head Laserbeak without paying over $100 for him. And really, did you all really expect Hasbro to NOT do a new G1 Prime for the 40th anniversary?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm a G1-er in general, though not exclusively so by any means. As such, I've actually been very pleased with the mix we've been getting lately. The mix of actual G1 figures (including some pretty deep cuts), different-series existing characters in a G1-esque aesthetic so that they can mix right in with with my current collection, and brand new wacky ideas/characters (all the various shades of weaponizers/armorizers/Rock Lords/etc) is pretty much exactly what I would have designed as my line of choice.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
It's more necessity than anything. While yes, there are movie designs that SS hasn't touched, those are few and far between. At least when it comes to marketable characters. The marketable movie characters have all had SS releases. Sometimes multiple times.
So faced with the prospect of winding down a successful retailer line due to a decreasing roster of potential releases or keeping it going by shifting gears, it's no surprise they did what they did.

Especially if they can sell it to retailers as a compliment to a successfully selling Generations WFC/Legacy line.

I do long for the ambitiousness of the UT.
The brand was in a very different place when the UT was conceived.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Yes, its such a shame that the line that focuses on screen accuracy, is in fact, focusing on screen accuracy. What is the world coming too?
You phrased this to make it sound like the person who dares not like it is Obviously Just Stupid, but "screen accuracy" and "G1 cartoon accuracy" are not, in fact, synonyms.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Also while I know this is specifically the Studio Series 86 thread, I was talking about the way the Generations toyline as a whole has been for quite some years now.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm a G1-er in general, though not exclusively so by any means. As such, I've actually been very pleased with the mix we've been getting lately. The mix of actual G1 figures (including some pretty deep cuts), different-series existing characters in a G1-esque aesthetic so that they can mix right in with with my current collection, and brand new wacky ideas/characters (all the various shades of weaponizers/armorizers/Rock Lords/etc) is pretty much exactly what I would have designed as my line of choice.
Same, a bit.

I've always wanted something along the lines of Cybertron, with a something-for-everyone angle that has a little of everything and homages everywhere. And to an extent the Legacy trilogy (as well as Selects) is bringing that, with mixed results. But it all falls kind of flat without the kind of fiction/media fun Cybertron had (the show, the fan club comic, etc). Give me that, with a dash of the fun the Speedia race manga and early Titans Return fiction bits had, and I'd be enjoying this a lot more. It'd certainly be a lot less of a cynical "who do I need from this wave" exercise.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
But it all falls kind of flat without the kind of fiction/media fun Cybertron had (the show, the fan club comic, etc). Give me that, with a dash of the fun the Speedia race manga and early Titans Return fiction bits had, and I'd be enjoying this a lot more. It'd certainly be a lot less of a cynical "who do I need from this wave" exercise.
Well, if the Netflix WFCT cartoon hadn't been so miserable, we might have gotten a sequel Netflix Legacy cartoon to accompany the toyline.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean, if it had been of similar quality and tone, it probably wouldn't have hit the spot anyway. It certainly didn't feel like a loss at the time it was revealed that Netflix passed on it, after what preceded it.

Top Bottom