The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Out of curiosity, are there any D-pads y'all would consider so bad that you'd rather just control movement in retro games using the stick? I'm curious where the threshold is.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Wouldn't say yes on that, but there were quite a few pre-nintendo patent-expiration ones that were close to doing that for me. Most of those were pc gamepads or third party console pads.

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
There was a plug and play Mortal Kombat whose d-pad seemed determined to take the skin right off my thumb. That was less than pleasant.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Back to the Switch…
Best Buy has the Switch version of Sonic Superstars for $10. Game got generally favorable reviews, though the consensus was “not as good as the original Genesis games or Mania, but better than other 2.5D Sonic titles”.

As with WAAAAAY to many games I have for the Switch…it was a great deal on a decent game so I snagged a copy. I got Best Buy Member Rewards which give me free shipping so it was $11 shipped. Not a bad price for a seemingly passable platformer.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I've been eyeing Chicory: A Colorful Tale for awhile, and recently bought it digitally on sale and beat it. Don't let the cute graphics and coloring book mechanics fool you, this was an introspective look into art, expectations, and depression. A fantastic game and I also had a blast coloring everything. Didn't get 100% completion on all the collectibles, but I'm satisfied with it.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I’ll check it out when it goes on sale again, but added it to my wishlist. Added a bunch of stuff from Atari, as well. They are running a sale with some compelling offerings (aka, Nightdive’s superb remasters of games like Dark Forces, Powerslave and Turok).

Also eyeing Digital Eclipse’s Llamasoft “playable documentary”. The Atari 50 project was fantastic, and Jeff Minter made some fantastically weird stuff.

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Powerslave is so damn weird on its mechanics but i really enjoy it. The jumping and platforming in it has no right to be as good as it is in a 90s console FPS, even having been remastered.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I got sidetracked with Chicory, but I beat Persona 5 Tactica. P5 spinoff #5,923 was decent. Follows the general formula of meeting the extra girl character early on, with the guy becoming playable later.
The chibi graphics are reminiscent of the PQ spinoffs.

It felt a bit short? I beat it at around 31hrs but played on Safe mode and didn't bother with all the side quests. Some of the later maps/bosses get annoying, but I guess that's the point of a more tactical game. I didn't even find out about the DLC (that adds 2 more optional chars) until I was almost done w/ it. Apparently you can't even use them unless you're on a new game+ anyway.

Maybe it felt short since a lot of time is spent in the First Kingdom, then after that there's about 5 levels each? Or maybe b/c most of the plot was digging into one character's trauma? I think I was a bit underwhelmed by the last boss and explanation. Oh well. The new girl Erina was fun/cool.
Guess what, guys? We're fighting a god/manifestation of an ideal who thinks it's doing what the people want! Again! Though, it did have a fun design.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I'm going to make a call before the Nintendo Direct in about 15 minutes:
They are going to announce a Legacy of Kain Remaster release, like the Tomb Raider Anniversary. Between the Evercade release and the newly announced graphic novel, it FEELS like there is some movement on sprucing up interest in the franchise under Embracer/Crystal Dynamics.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I'm going to make a call before the Nintendo Direct in about 15 minutes:
They are going to announce a Legacy of Kain Remaster release, like the Tomb Raider Anniversary. Between the Evercade release and the newly announced graphic novel, it FEELS like there is some movement on sprucing up interest in the franchise under Embracer/Crystal Dynamics.
I was wrong. No Legacy of Kain.
That said, for a Direct for the holiday season...a LOT of stuff showed isn't going to be out until next year.

Probably the biggest stuff, to me, is the amount of collections we're seeing released from Capcom and Konami:
Capcom announced another Fighting Collection, which includes Powerstone 1 and 2, Project Justice (Rival Schools 2), Capcom Fighting Evolution and the two Capcom vs SNK releases.
Konami announced a remake of the first two Suikoden titles along with a surprise drop of Castlevania Dominus Collection (which features the 3 DS titles) out now.
The Tetris Forever release caught my eye. It looks like another of Digital Eclipse's "museum" offerings, including interviews with key people involved in Tetris and different versions of the game. In conjunction, the original NES game will hit the Switch Online service this winter.
Nice to see Sega bring Yakuza to the platform, and the system remains the home for all your JRPG needs (new Tales, Rune Factory and Atelier entries were shown)
Pizza Tower caught my eye as a weird mish mash of Wario World Shake It (from the Wii) with the aesthetics of 90s "hyperactive" cartoons. But I question how good the gameplay will end up being.

Still feels weird to see Lego Horizon on the platform.

I'm actually surprised to see the announcement of Civ7 hitting Switch. That's one that will either be an impressive port or just reinforce the need for a more powerful hardware release.

Here's the full presentation, starts at roughy 30 minutes in (unless they edit it)

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
I already have the Marvel/Capcom collection preordered for PS5. Now they're releasing the Capcom vs. SNK games. I mean, good for me and all, but my poor wallet is hemorrhaging!

And the Castlevania 3DS collection out now. I'm going to have to wait until payday, but those are my all time favorite Castlevania games!

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Man that new Capcom fighting collection is almost perfect. Instead of Alpha 3 we coulda gotten Tech Romancer and Id have been over the moon!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Oh, Neva looks SUPER pretty. There's some great animation in this one.

More Sea of Stars is always welcome!

SHREK?! Okay. Random. If you ever wanted to powerwash Shrek's porta-potty....have at it!

Morsels has a interesting art style. Not sure if I'm interested or not, but it does feel a bit unique. It just might be a little too gross for me.

Date Everything. Have we gone too far? Or still not far enough?

Huh. A new version of Shovel Knight. I guess it's just a enhanced version of the first game. Still, neat.

Metal Slug Tactics is still coming. It's been a while.

The Plucky Squire looks so good. I'm just not sure if it'll run the best on the Switch or not.

Pizza Tower's coming to Switch! I've heard nothing but good things about this Wario-like game.

Star Overdrive looks kind of cool. Worth keeping a eye on.

Goat Simulator...3! Truly the height of civilization.

Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky 1st! Finally! The first games in this series are getting remade and put on the Switch! I've wanted to play these. Honestly, I was kind of hoping they'd just port the PC versions of the original PSP games, but I'll take what I can get.

Capcom Fighting Collection 2! Despite being terrible at fighting games, I'm kind of interested in a lot of these collections. I hear nothing but amazing things about Capcom vs SNK 2 and the Power Stone games. But...and I hate to complain but...I hear nothing but terrible things about Capcom Fighting Evolution. I kind of wish they wouldn't have included that one, and gave us the first Rival Schools, instead. Or Tech Romancer, I really want them to re-release this one and I feel like it just got snubbed. Or Star Gladiator (Plasma Sword is basically a better version of Star Gladiator, but still). All of these would be better than Fighting Evolution. Maybe they're holding a few games back for a Capcom Fighting Collection 3, but they're kind of reaching the bottom of the barrel, at this point.

Atelier Yumia looks like it could have a interesting story.

Suikoden 1 and 2! Definitely worth picking up if you've never played them before.

Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D! I'm basically already sold. Just give it to me!

Castlevania Dominus Collection! Looks like a pretty good value for your dollar.

Tales of Graces F! I think this is one of the more middling entries in the franchise, relatively speaking, but still glad to see people get a chance to play it.

Disney Epic Mickey. That's kind of nostalgic for me at this point.

Lego Horizon Adventure. I'm kind of interested. I know all the Lego games play pretty similarly, but I just like Horizon's designs.

Rune Factory Guardians of Azuma! I'm not usually that interested in farming games. But dueling warriors on the backs of dragons have my attention. Plus, I just like the art style. I might keep an eye on this one.

Yakuza Kiwami! I...should care about this. I hear nothing but good things about the Yakuza games. I don't know how well it'll run on Switch, though. And...I just don't find them appealing, myself, for whatever reason. Maybe I should give one a chance, sometime, though.

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Yakuza is a really bizarre one to me because, like. If that sells, it'll surely be followed up on with ports of everything after, but at the same time, why are they shooting that shot now?

Shadewing

Citizen
Oh, right, that exists. That'll do it.

Even comes out the same day. Clearly Sega seen what the Fallout show did for Fallout games, and are preping in hopes the same happens here. So the only console without a Yakuza game, gets a Yakuza game. I fully expect we'll see sales for the series on PS5 Xbox and PC aroudn this time, if not some games being given away for free (like Bethsaida did with Fallout)

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Man that new Capcom fighting collection is almost perfect. Instead of Alpha 3 we coulda gotten Tech Romancer and Id have been over the moon!
Yeah, Alpha 3 Upper doesn't feel like it adds much to this collection given the prior collections. Capcom probably feels EVERYTHING MUST HAVE A STREET FIGHTER! I also find it odd they opted for Project Justice and Plasma Sword rather than their predecessors (Rival Schools and Star Gladiator, respectively).

That said, they probably have enough for a third collection with the few remaining franchises they have:
Tech Romancer, Saturday Night Slammasters (and its sequel), Star Gladiator, Rival Schools, the Mega Man fighters, and probably the Street Fighter EX titles.
I suppose that's a good reason for A Yakuza game, but I'm surprised they ported Kiwami, instead of one of the more recent titles.

Top Bottom