The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I still have the OG switch. I mostly play it mostly in docked mode. I may play it in handheld mode if I'm going somewhere for the weekend or if I'm on vacation or something. But most of my playtime is docked. So I never really felt the need to upgrade to the OLED which more of the lure for that one is handheld mode.

But it is nice to have gotten such a good deal on the best of a generation. Congratulations!
Same here. Except "handheld" mode is usually "propped up somewhere and using the Pro Controller, because the damn Switch is uncomfortable to hold for very long."

Caldwin

Just plain batty!
Citizen
Same. Plus, once you use the pro controller, trying to go back to joycons is rough. I only use them when the pro controller needs recharged.

Deathy G1

Citizen
Pro controller was an immediate purchase when I got the OLED.

Has anyone else experienced a weird uncanny valley feeling when playing the Mario RPG remake? I couldn’t shake it and it made me hate playing. I ended up trading it in yesterday towards my Echoes of Wisdom preorder.

I experienced no such feeling with Thousand Year Door.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Personally, I didn't have a problem with the RPG remake. But, I could understand how you might. It might be partially the isometric perspective, which few games use anymore. It could be the new graphics, which isn't what you remember from the old game. And it might be the new menu system and new battle systems they added to the game, which do change how the game plays to a extent. I could see how the new version might conflict with your fond memories of the old one.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
While revealed at the Sony State of Play, several games and DLC will come to the Switch:
TMNT Shredder's Revenge will get a pair of new playable characters, along with a Sonic 3 movie pack DLC for Sonic X Shadow Generations.
Soul Reaver Remastered will be released in December (From Aspyr, that did the Tomb Raider Remaster)
Lunar 1+2 Remastered will be coming next spring.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I thought I heard the Soul Reaver stuff was exclusive?

Hope that's all, if that's the case.

Glitch

Citizen
Dead Rising remastered came out but there's little chance of it on Switch given it uses the RE engine. Maybe the original could appear at some point but I feel the best rounded game for Switch would be Dead Rising 2 Off the Record.

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I thought I heard the Soul Reaver stuff was exclusive?

Hope that's all, if that's the case.
You made that leap yourself :p
I just reported that the Remasters were "officially revealed" early by Playstation on their store. But there has never been any indication that Soul Reaver would be a Playstation exclusive.

Blood Omen is a pseudo exclusive to the PS5, but you can still play the game on the Evercade (with Soul Reaver 1) and PC.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You made that leap yourself :p
I just reported that the Remasters were "officially revealed" early by Playstation on their store. But there has never been any indication that Soul Reaver would be a Playstation exclusive.

Blood Omen is a pseudo exclusive to the PS5, but you can still play the game on the Evercade (with Soul Reaver 1) and PC.
...I talk about and get game news from more places than this, y'know. =P

Deathy G1

Citizen
Why do people hate on Paper Mario: The Origami King? I absolutely love the game (got it used at GameStop for $30; it looked like it was played once and traded in) and the combat system. I have been playing it interchangeably with Thousand Year Door.

I haven't opened Echoes of Wisdom yet. I have too much on my plate with the two Paper Marios, Mario Kart 8, and my Mario Golf Zen time.

I've also preordered Super Mario Party Jamboree and Mario & Luigi: Brothership. Mario Party games always lead to fun family/friends rage time (I can't limit the rage to just Mario Kart). I'll grab another set of joycons on Jamboree's release day, but it would have been nice to also grab a charging grip. Too bad Nintendo discontinued it.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The Origami King is definitely a good game. It's just not quite the game a lot of Paper Mario fans want. Long story short, they want another game in the style of Thousand Year Door. And for some reason, Nintendo just doesn't want to do that.

The Origami King's combat system is...a little obtuse? It feels like it's trying to be different for the sake of being different. You get used to it, as you play the game, but it takes a little time. But, some of the boss battles can become long and tedious. A lot of fans just wish that Nintendo would go back to using the battle system from the first two Paper Mario games, without all the gimmicks.

And Nintendo's being a little weird about giving"enemy" characters names or personalities. They'll do it...up to a point. But, there's different news articles that behind the scenes the higher ups have a bunch of rules that the developers have to follow before they're approved. There's more red tape around making new characters then there used to be in the Thousand Year Door days. And fans can tell.

And there seems to be a sentiment that Paper Mario is leaning a little too much on the "Paper" part of the name. Some fans feel like the Paper Mario games have become too much about being made from paper. Just going a little too far with the gimmick and the joke of it all. Again, it's more about wanting a game more like the first two games. Where the "Paper" aspect was more or less secondary, instead of such of a major focus of the story and plot and jokes.

But, Origami King is still probably one of the top 5 Paper Mario games. It's just that fans want to go back to the style of games they loved in the past. And Nintendo doesn't seem to like to repeat themselves. Nintendo likes to try new things, and with Paper Mario in particular...there have been some stumbles. Nintendo really hasn't found something that's outright "better" than Thousand Year Door, in the fan's eyes, at least. I don't know if anyone outright HATES Origami King. It's just that the fans seem to be upset that it's still not in the style of Thousand Year Door.

The Thousand Year Door is still the best Paper Mario in a lot of fan's minds, and the fans feel like Nintendo is just being stubborn not giving them another game in that particular style.

Last edited:

Sjogre

Citizen
It's not just that Nintendo isn't letting enemies get personalities, it's that the post-Super games seem dead set on having Mario be the only playable character, with the result that Mario and the current mascot are the only ones that stick around for the whole game. The character work for the parties in the first two games wasn't deep, but Mario is a silent protagonist, so he's not really going to carry the story on his own, and the mascots haven't been up for the task, either.

Sticker Star's combat system was generally disliked. It did, technically, allow a wide variety of attacks and abilities, but in an awkward fashion. It also did a thing where combat didn't really give you any permanent advantages, but grinding was still required because the stronger stickers were dropped by enemies. As such, it also encouraged a hoarder mentality even worse than most RPGs.

Which makes it rather obnoxious that the sticker system has stuck around so long. The more tedious bits have been filed down as time goes by, but it's still present, even when it doesn't really fit with the rest of the combat system.

Origami King does actually have a clever combat system, albeit the clever bits aren't the sticker system bits. The way that you twist and move the enemy wheel to line them up is pretty fun, and it seemed like it was designed so that it was possible to beat any group of enemies in a single round. At least in theory. The wheel mazes used for the bosses are at least interesting, although some layouts can be frustrating.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Origami King is definitely a good game. It's just not quite the game a lot of Paper Mario fans want. Long story short, they want another game in the style of Thousand Year Door. And for some reason, Nintendo just doesn't want to do that.

The Origami King's combat system is...a little obtuse? It feels like it's trying to be different for the sake of being different. You get used to it, as you play the game, but it takes a little time. But, some of the boss battles can become long and tedious. A lot of fans just wish that Nintendo would go back to using the battle system from the first two Paper Mario games, without all the gimmicks.

And Nintendo's being a little weird about giving"enemy" characters names or personalities. They'll do it...up to a point. But, there's different news articles that behind the scenes the higher ups have a bunch of rules that the developers have to follow before they're approved. There's more red tape around making new characters then there used to be in the Thousand Year Door days. And fans can tell.

And there seems to be a sentiment that Paper Mario is leaning a little too much on the "Paper" part of the name. Some fans feel like the Paper Mario games have become too much about being made from paper. Just going a little too far with the gimmick and the joke of it all. Again, it's more about wanting a game more like the first two games. Where the "Paper" aspect was more or less secondary, instead of such of a major focus of the story and plot and jokes.

But, Origami King is still probably one of the top 5 Paper Mario games. It's just that fans want to go back to the style of games they loved in the past. And Nintendo doesn't seem to like to repeat themselves. Nintendo likes to try new things, and with Paper Mario in particular...there have been some stumbles. Nintendo really hasn't found something that's outright "better" than Thousand Year Door, in the fan's eyes, at least. I don't know if anyone outright HATES Origami King. It's just that the fans seem to be upset that it's still not in the style of Thousand Year Door.

The Thousand Year Door is still the best Paper Mario in a lot of fan's minds, and the fans feel like Nintendo is just being stubborn not giving them another game in that particular style.

It's not just that Nintendo isn't letting enemies get personalities, it's that the post-Super games seem dead set on having Mario be the only playable character, with the result that Mario and the current mascot are the only ones that stick around for the whole game. The character work for the parties in the first two games wasn't deep, but Mario is a silent protagonist, so he's not really going to carry the story on his own, and the mascots haven't been up for the task, either.

Sticker Star's combat system was generally disliked. It did, technically, allow a wide variety of attacks and abilities, but in an awkward fashion. It also did a thing where combat didn't really give you any permanent advantages, but grinding was still required because the stronger stickers were dropped by enemies. As such, it also encouraged a hoarder mentality even worse than most RPGs.

Which makes it rather obnoxious that the sticker system has stuck around so long. The more tedious bits have been filed down as time goes by, but it's still present, even when it doesn't really fit with the rest of the combat system.

Origami King does actually have a clever combat system, albeit the clever bits aren't the sticker system bits. The way that you twist and move the enemy wheel to line them up is pretty fun, and it seemed like it was designed so that it was possible to beat any group of enemies in a single round. At least in theory. The wheel mazes used for the bosses are at least interesting, although some layouts can be frustrating.
As someone who loved the first three Paper Mario games, I can pretty much agree with all this y'all said.

Sticker Star was like... if that had been the first attempt at a Mario RPG ever, that might have been acceptable. But it stood on the shoulders of giants, and fell hard.

Color Splash was an improvement. But it wasn't as good as the classics. And I didn't even play Origami King, because I just sort of gave up at that point. From what I can tell, it was maybe better still, but I didn't want to keep following Nintendo as they'd try to inch their way back towards reclaiming the former glory they'd established so long ago. I have things to do.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I honestly don't remember if I played 1000, but I did like Origami King. I would get bored if the fights were exactly the same every time.

Top Bottom