Transformers Legacy toyline

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I think RiD Megatron makes sense to do, but he doesn't seem quite big/important enough for a Haslab to me. Not that I wouldn't buy him if they did him, but he feels more like a good Commander imo.

But who knows. There are a number of decent possible choices.

-ZacWilliam, I could honestly imagine Star Convoy... a better Metroplex... a Grandus... if I want to get out of the realm of "likely" a Spanner or Smelting Pool with Scrounge...

Platypus Prime

Citizen
The biggest trouble would be the two colors, simple for a normal release, but problematic for any HazLab unless they made it a really expensive two-pack. Prime/Magnus did it, but they were different and mutually compatible and supporting molds that combine.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
RID Megs would probably have to be a Has Lab if only to compete with RID Optimus/Omega Prime. That dude’s huge and the big wings would probably cut into the mass and engineering. Releasing Galvatron might be a problem but having a straight recolor might reduce costs or backers and make a twopack feasible.

Last edited:

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I can see the reasons for doing Gigatron as a HasLab to match Omega Prime, but this is one of the rare instances where I'd prefer not having a matching rival. I just don't like how big the new Omega Prime is. I'd really like a good Commander Gigatron who scales well with all the other RiD updates they've done, like Scourge, UW Ruination, and the upcoming Sky-Byte. HasLab Omega Prime is already a one-off that isn't going to scale to any of his contemporaries. Better to keep Gigatron firmly in the Legacy realm rather than compound that discrepancy, IMO.

One other thing Warden mentioned in the interview kinda took me aback. He mentioned he's interested in a Titan-class Overlord. I mean, I'd love a good Overlord update that fully incorporates his Godmasters, and he is pretty big, but Titan? I guess I can get it based on his G1 toy being as big as or bigger than Scorponok, but from any other perspective, that just seems like massive overkill. I think they could make an excellent Overlord as a Commander.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Overlord could probably be done at Commander but Tidal Wave sets precedent for promoting characters who weren’t previously enormous to Titan. Having a base mode may be enough for the team to Titan class him.

Another factor is if they also plan to make a Ginrai/PMOP with a core robot around the size of the various Optimuses, that’d be around Commander class without Godbomber. Presumably, Overlord would have to be bigger than that and outside of Haslab, Titan is the next size class.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Speaking of the interview, I'm still not over how open things are now. For years the dreaded "Will you make this toy?" question was a complete waste of a slot in Q&A sessions, because toys are serious business and any potential plans are super top secret. But this crew will just tell us "Yeah we totally want to make that but we're not sure how. These are the considerations we're weighing. We're listening to feedback."

It's so endearing.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Speaking of the interview, I'm still not over how open things are now. For years the dreaded "Will you make this toy?" question was a complete waste of a slot in Q&A sessions, because toys are serious business and any potential plans are super top secret. But this crew will just tell us "Yeah we totally want to make that but we're not sure how. These are the considerations we're weighing. We're listening to feedback."

It's so endearing.
I think this is about as useful as an answer anyway (and therefore the question is about as useful as it was). These questions remain a waste of a slot regardless of the kind of answer they get, because it's the same question just Mad Libbed with different requests (which is really what they are).

But as boilerplate answers go, I agree that these warmer, more insightful responses are very welcome. In general I like that the teams in recent years have been so much more personable. That comes through in so many other aspects too like the livestreams and the Instagram behind-the-scenes stuff, which is one of my favorite things about this era.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Overlord could probably be done at Commander but Tidal Wave sets precedent for promoting characters who weren’t previously enormous to Titan. Having a base mode may be enough for the team to Titan class him.

Another factor is if they also plan to make a Ginrai/PMOP with a core robot around the size of the various Optimuses, that’d be around Commander class without Godbomber. Presumably, Overlord would have to be bigger than that and outside of Haslab, Titan is the next size class.
Star Convoy, Overlord, and at least Super Ginrai/PMOP would all be doable at Commander, I feel, and I'd rather they get released in that format than anything else. The Titan bit is an unnecessary plussing up for even Overlord, as Tidal Wave got that because of his video game level (for a long time the most memorable thing about that character, topping the already-cool design).

Unless they expand Titan Class to be less about just "one ginormous figure with possibly some pack-ins" and allow for a box set of maybe two Commanders or so (and some budgetary wiggle room), which could allow for some interesting combos.

I can really picture these all working at that regular retail price point, but this is also partly informed by a lingering bit of buyer's remorse with Deathsaurus (through no fault of Deathsaurus' or Hasbro's, just timing and the format).

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Things I would Take as a Commander:
Powermaster Prime
Star Convoy
Thunderwing with shell
Overlord
TriPredicus
Magnaboss
Any Pretender above the basic 88 size (This will not happen but I'd be all-in)
Fortress Maximus (Marvel Scale)
Scorponok (Marvel Scale)

Things I'd take as a Titan:
Grandus
Orcanoch
G1-ier Metroplex
Spanner
Purple Griffin
Rescue Bots High Tide

Things as a Haslab
*"Really good" Powermaster Optimus Prime with all the gimmicks from the original concept Including Headmaster. And maybe Multiple head types (Mostly I want a Marvel Comic style Head).
*"Really Good" versions of any of the toys from the previous categories.
*Liokaiser

-ZacWilliam, I've probably forgotten a really cool option or two but I'd take any of these to start.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think this is about as useful as an answer anyway (and therefore the question is about as useful as it was). These questions remain a waste of a slot regardless of the kind of answer they get, because it's the same question just Mad Libbed with different requests (which is really what they are).

But as boilerplate answers go, I agree that these warmer, more insightful responses are very welcome. In general I like that the teams in recent years have been so much more personable. That comes through in so many other aspects too like the livestreams and the Instagram behind-the-scenes stuff, which is one of my favorite things about this era.

I wouldn't call the answers we get today boilerplate, because they'll talk about things they aren't specifically asked about. John Warden asked about maybe redoing T30 Metroplex and he mentioned that Animated Omega Supreme is in the queue.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Though, the question being how G1-ified that Animated Omega Supreme would be. If it's just a redeco of Kingdom Ark with a new robot head, no thank you. That's not Animated Omega. At all.

Top Bottom