What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

Ironbite4

Citizen
But they were such good friends at one point. I wonder what changed?

Ironbite-I mean, besides spending 5 seconds in this man's relative zip code.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Ahh this is fun.

So a state rep in NORTH DAKOTA! is urging Ohio to just say hug it to the results of their election because direct democracy always kicks Republican ass. What a moron.

Ironbite-I think we should ignore this guy right out of office.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I think the best part of the voting results are all of the political reporters saying why this should scare the hell out of Biden because somehow this means that Donald Trump may yet with the presidential election.

So desperate for a horse race they're willing to ignore realities to create a narrative for eyeballs and clicks.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
Ahh this is fun.

So a state rep in NORTH DAKOTA! is urging Ohio to just say hug it to the results of their election because direct democracy always kicks Republican ass. What a moron.

Ironbite-I think we should ignore this guy right out of office.
Rick Santorum said the same thing.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
Funny how they spent all this time justifying their desire to overturn Roe because 'it should be up to the states', but now that states aren't doing what they want they're unhappy with the states having that power.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
That's also part of the reason the more "moderate" republicans have fled the party. They went from "It's a states rights issue" to "national ban" literally overnight. No transition, no real change in context, literally just showing the voters what they thought of them and how much they consider their opinions.

Beau of the fifth has been preaching this: They don't want to represent, they want to rule.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It's exactly the same thing that happened during the Civil War. For all their talk of "states' rights", the very first thing they did after seceding was make it explicitly unconstitutional for any Confederate state to outlaw slavery.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Having the worlds longest unfortified border is something both the US and Canada should be proud of. Throwing it away due to xenophobic nationalism would be a travesty.

Axaday

Citizen
I wish government shutdowns were funny, because I'd like to laugh if Johnson cannot get a deal to stop it.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
As W Bush speechwriter David Frum wrote in 2018; "If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy."
As a response to Mr Frum: If they are unwilling to abandon conservatism when they cannot win democratically, they were never conservatives, they were always authoritarians.

I wish government shutdowns were funny, because I'd like to laugh if Johnson cannot get a deal to stop it.
A shutdown always was the goal. mikey wikey carries water for trump, and trump still thinks a shutdown will prevent his prosecution. The order given to gaets still stands, and is entirely why the last speaker was tossed.

So there will be a shut down, and it won't be because they can't get a make a deal, it will be because the architect of the trump coup decided to include a bunch a stuff which will NEVER pass a vote (and even if it did, biden will veto it.) and cannot be convinced to remove it. There will be another shutdown, it will be openly and blatantly the republicans fault, they will blame it on the democrats, and it will be because they are all ******* monsters.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Tim Burchett was talking to a reporter when Kevin McCarthy gave him a shove from behind. McCarthy is saying the contact was accidental. Twitter thread by the reporter here.

Matt Gaetz has filed an ethics complaint regarding the incident.
When informed of Mr Gaetz's complaint, Mr McCarthy replied "oh, good," before adding that "Ethics is a good place for Gaetz to be".

Axaday

Citizen
Your post has everything!

Edit - We're kind of used to sexual abuse in government at this point, but does there have to be shoving?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
When informed of Mr Gaetz's complaint, Mr McCarthy replied "oh, good," before adding that "Ethics is a good place for Gaetz to be".
OK, point to McCarthy, that did make me laugh.

Axaday

Citizen

Senator Markwayne Mullins was ready to go have a tussle on the Senator floor. Perfect.

He scoffs at a tweet saying he is a clown and needs to quit the tough guy act and then stands up to go have a fistfight in a Senate hearing.

He still doesn't think he is clown?

Edit - Weirdly, after Bernie won't let them have a fist fight, Markwayne had to come back and summarize that he had accepted the challenge to fight but the Teamster President got quiet. He has to establish for the room that he still won somehow. But all you have to do is roll it back and see that the Teamster President did NOT get quiet. Bernie had to quiet him down too.

Last edited:

Top Bottom