Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They only have so many designers and so much time. Who knows how long they spent working on this.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I blame the extreme cost cutting. The voyagers, Leaders and Core are okay for the most part but the Deluxes get the brunt of it. Skids in particular is the worst toy I've seen in quite a while. Looks like a bad upsized knockoff of a Legends toy.

Also, in Armada Optimus' case, they may have had the scrapped prototype to work off.

Last edited:

Destron D-69

at Journey's end
Citizen
I wonder if at this point we'd all be better off If hasbro just didn't do a line for a year and then made one with twice the budget.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
The stockholders would sue them for breaching fiduciary duty. Brand probably dies faster as well.

Last edited:

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Even if they weren’t beholden to stockholders, skipping a year would still be a dumb decision financially and Hasbro would still want to make money regardless. When you get to the levels of cash that multinational corporations have, stagnation is simply just losing money.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I blame the extreme cost cutting. The voyagers, Leaders and Core are okay for the most part but the Deluxes get the brunt of it. Skids in particular is the worst toy I've seen in quite a while. Looks like a bad upsized knockoff of a Legends toy.

Also, in Armada Optimus' case, they may have had the scrapped prototype to work off.
I also feel that the sheer VOLUME of product between all the brand segments is an issue. When you’re making something like, 12-16 Legacy Deluxe releases, 6 or so “Kid deluxe” figures, another half dozen “movie deluxe” figures, and 8-12 Studio Series deluxe figures…PLUS exclusives for Amazon, Walmart, Target, Pulse, AND Fan Channel?
That’s a LOT of stuff to address, even before you start factoring in Voyager, Leader, Core and the general kids stuff. When dealing with that much stuff to produce, it really does start to feel like Hasbro is “rushing” through the process for numerous segments.

I think there is an argument to be made that some Transformers segments could well do with “tightening the belt” in terms of product volume (especially with Studio Series and Generations).

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Takara’s reported to have cut back on their funding as well. Transformers is effectively a dead brand over there.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Takara’s reported to have cut back on their funding as well. Transformers is effectively a dead brand over there.
Well they did give us a new Brave, so that tracks:
cr_sworgrader_hero.png

Manga-only though currently.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Eh. Ship's sailed for Brave as far as I'm concerned. All I really wanted to know was what happened after the end of GGG Final and I don't really care enough for a new series, especially if they can't be bothered to animate it. Maybe if somebody comes up with a Genesic GGG that transforms and isn't made of glass.
Takara should have tried not mutilating their cartoons.
Transformers has always been B-list at best there, with G1 initially selling because it was foreign. The AEC animes and movies helped it out a bit but it was never all that popular. It's largely seen as a franchise that literal babbies get until they develop a taste for karate bugman bikers as toddlers and eventually get old enough to build Gundam kits and/or buy skeevy anime statues like a proper otaku. I don't know if decent localizations of the TF shows would have helped but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Eh. Ship's sailed for Brave as far as I'm concerned. All I really wanted to know was what happened after the end of GGG Final and I don't really care enough for a new series, especially if they can't be bothered to animate it. Maybe if somebody comes up with a Genesic GGG that transforms and isn't made of glass.
If you haven't already, check out the "Hakai-oh - GaoGaiGar vs Betterman" stuff, as it takes place after Final and wraps up all the loose ends. There's a Light Novel that was fully fan-translated(which is how I read it), and an ongoing manga adaptation too, but nothing animated. If you don't mind a slightly changed ending, it also featured in Super Robot Wars 30, but because of the crossover stuff the final bit of the story was impacted there. The whole thing is basically a revival of the scrapped Project Z.

img_20180416_211500.jpg

Pretty sure this is where the LN translations start: https://pyroxenescanning.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/hakaiou-gaogaigar-vs-betterman-01/

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

I need to check this out.

The new Brave's basic alt mode is a food truck from what I recall reading about it, and it starts off with him facing off against the remaining four Geistars. Photogrizer's also going to feature somehow, even though that series never got made beyond the art in that one artbook - he's the silver one near the bottom right. He's officially acknowledged as the 9th Brave though after Baan Gaan, making Sworgrader the 10th.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I feel the brand unification thing should've been the biggest sign that nearly no one in Japan gives a shit about Transformers outside of hardcore collectors. Like 'the toys are going to be identical in all markets' is one thing but 'not even creating new packaging for the Japanese market and just selling the toys in US packaging just with Japanese-language stickers on the front and back with the needed info in that language' is like a yeah.

(Although I do wonder why Earthspark isn't falling under the brand-unification thing, all the ES toys that are being released in Japan have differences from the US versions. It's probably a 'Well this line is actually being aimed at kids and not collectors' thing tbh)

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Yeah, probably adherence to Japan kids’ toy standards of accuracy. Even their cheapo sentai and Kamen Rider vinyl toys are impressively accurate.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Even Takara can see Hasbro excessively cheapening out on the kids lines!

Seriously, of all the major toy makers in the action figure space, it has really gotten to the point that Hasbro seems to have kind of forgot what it means to make a “toy”. I’m not sure any other major action figure offering from a major retailer has seen their “kids stuff” as aesthetically and functionally compromised as what Hasbro has done with their kids stuff.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I'm pretty sure most kids these days would rather play whatever shitty smartphone games are popular these days over some plastic crap tbh.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Yeah, I mean this was definitely not what it meant to be a toy.
687.jpg

Look at it - it just folds in half and you can't even tell what it's supposed to be.

And this is clearly a robot doing yoga.
2347.jpg

Certainly not anything a kid would want to play with.

ANd look at this! It certainly isn't something Hasbro should call a toy. It doesn't even have knees!
s-l1600.jpg

Top Bottom