Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Hasbro needs to pick a lane and stick to it for kids’ toylines. The gimmicky stuff wouldn’t appeal to adult collectors but neither would compromised articulation, articulation and accuracy.

If a rainbow shitting unicorn at $200 has a market, they can sell something akin to fast action battlers for kids. Some resonably priced nice, chunky colorful toys with lights and sounds more like DX sentai megazords than generations.

They also need better marketing and media. whoever thought that making all their shows exclusive to subscription platforms or crappy boring online series needs to get booter.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
They also need better marketing and media. whoever thought that making all their shows exclusive to subscription platforms or crappy boring online series needs to get booter.
I mean what's the alternative?

Having their shows air on the dying medium of cable television? (Which they also do, Earthspark airs on the linear Nickelodeon channel here in the US).

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Have them on multiple streaming platforms, local stations, cable, online or anybody that'll take it. You don't have to stick to one and a TF cartoon's not going to be some big draw that sells subscriptions so may as well get a broader audience. If you are stuck to one platform, they need to get the word out so that even normies know. Dunno how these licensing agreements work but there must be some way to get the word out that the show exists that if you don't specifically look it up.

Earthspark aired on Nickelodeon a while back here too but it's since been replaced by more Spongebob reruns. Cyberverse aired here and even had a local dub with around a year interval, so yeah, probably rights issues with Nick

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Well in the case of Earthspark, Nickelodeon is actually one of the production companies since it's a co-production between Hasbro Entertainment (formerly Entertainment One) and Nickelodeon Animation Studios, so in that case, they're likely limited (at least while the show is in-production, who knows in the future when the show has ended and some years have passed) to having the series release on platforms owned by Paramount.

Destron D-69

at Journey's end
Citizen
usually when the toys for a show are out they have a call out on the box saying "watch the show on ___" but I mean without the ad based marketing of network tv you just can't get the brand saturation like you could in the 80's and 90's. tv shows aren't even designed for ad breaks anymore a lot of the time anyway. so you've lost the chance for broadcasters to advertise your show during other shows and or the toys during your show...

streaming new content has been a marketing mistake from the get go. Netflix was perfect for people who already knew about the content they wanted to see... them having every episode of golden girls right there didn't really need any effort to market. But you aren't going to reach a new audience for new product that way. the best these streaming channels can do is blast twitter and buy ads on youtube or hope people pay attention to whatever "recommended for you" type thing they offer

I lament the death of Saturday morning cartoons, lol likely 90% of my brand loyalty was forged in those hours XD

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There's also too many channels for network TV to get brand saturation like you could in the 80s and 90s either. Hasbro doesn't have a lot of options here. At least they're trying to adapt.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
streaming new content has been a marketing mistake from the get go.
If it's not on streaming, it's basically irrelevant as far as a kid's franchise goes these days.

I genuinely would not be surprised if we see these channels shut down in the next 15-20 years (or they literally become nothing more than a place to air their streaming shows on TV 6 to 8 months after being released for streaming with no new original programming produced for them and to keep the 'legacy' of the channel still around).

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen

A toy the approximate size of a child, that transforms less than the Hasbro Titan, for the low, low price of $1500? What a deal!

TBF most of that cost is probably shipping fees since this thing is about the mass and volume of a small refrigerator but still.

Last edited:

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
5oycuh2s397qcx48688i9jx3a.jpg
js4889gutjokyum4vk3s5f8x.jpg
5jjgo2bgc4e44tra1y4ekmgvk.jpg
4iowmhz52aau5y17dsmaz9p4w.jpg
27fk2p7n41a5quwcw8flritz1.jpg
4s9fjtur90udrb2fhwa2bqs3t.jpg
3j1tcqetkltv2txw1axlexhgi.jpg

I like how each member has a signature weapon of sorts but the combined mode is strangely lanky and the individual robots are too generic mecha in terms of headsculpt.

Love the dinomodes though. Except Swoop, that's just Rodan.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think the generic mecha heads work. The strength of this set is that it is fully committed to its shtick.

Destron D-69

at Journey's end
Citizen
yeah, I like that Snarl and the sludge is interesting, but I'd need to see if this had one of those '3rder party' separate kits to make it more dinobot-ish as far as the heads go

Top Bottom