Random Thoughts From Out of Nowhere

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
The issue I have with iPhone is their photo files don't play nice with anyone else. Unless you're only posting to Facebook, gotta have an HEIC format converter if you aren't using an apple computer to view and edit photos on a desktop.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
gotta have an HEIC format converter if you aren't using an apple computer to view and edit photos on a desktop.
????????/

Screenshot from 2024-09-11 19-46-52.png

Screenshot from 2024-09-11 19-47-19.png

if i used an iPhone, i could literally open and edit and export HEIC files just fine in krita and gnu imp if i wanted to

and i use lingux btw

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Read Avengers vs Alien. This shit expects me to believe that a world with superscience, magic, small-a aliens, gods, mutants and superhumans on every corner would be overtaken by vanilla Aliens. At least Superman vs Alien had to work to make that matchup interesting and viable. Actually now that I think about it, Superman vs Alien was a damn fine comic.

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I have said it before and I will say it again: anyone who recommends GIMP as a Photoshop alternative to someone is either playing a cruel prank, has never used any other image editing software, or is one of those 'it's open source so it's automatically better and anyone who complains is wrong' types.

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
It's somehow still at the top of the list of Photoshop alternatives lists in big collection graphics that go around every time some corpo shits on their customer base, even though we live in an age where Photopea, an almost 1:1 clone that runs in a BROWSER exists.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I only use it for gif editing. There are surprisingly few gif editors anymore, and I am not going to use some stupid web app.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The fact that you said 'some corpo shits on their customer base' is exactly the reason why people still (unfortunately) recommend GIMP as an alternative.

They recommend stuff like GIMP because there is no corporation involved, you can't be shit on by them introducing nonsense features or trying to push subscriptions because it's FOSS.

Like I don't know about Photopea, but I do know that lots of browser-based Photoshop alternatives have just gone to shit because the people behind them decide to introduce subscriptions, so they make it so that if you don't pay, you can either only access the most basic features (which is less annoying I guess because a lot of people only need the basic features) or you can access everything but when you export the image, you're either going to have a watermark or you can't export images larger than a certain size.

I only use it for gif editing. There are surprisingly few gif editors anymore, and I am not going to use some stupid web app.
It's because zoomers think gifs are cringe.

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Far as I know, Photopea's still got all its functionality, just has (or had, it's been a bit since it nagged me about adblock) some ads to keep the lights on.

We just gotta get to a point where the folks doing the FOSS stuff have someone involved that knows how an average user thinks and can actually leverage some clout to make the product actually usable. Or reasonably obtainable, in the case of the github nerds...

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I have Clip Studio (formerly Manga Studio) for more serious pics/comics. Bought it ages ago and the major updates maybe twice? They have subscriptions now, too, but F that. At least they still offer the one time payment.

On my cell I have IbisPaintX, just did a one time payment to disable ads and enable more tools. Handy for quicker pics/on the go.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We just gotta get to a point where the folks doing the FOSS stuff have someone involved that knows how an average user thinks and can actually leverage some clout to make the product actually usable. Or reasonably obtainable, in the case of the github nerds...

Why do that when they can take one of the parts that already works and rebuild it from scratch, and demand that everything else must now be rebuilt from scratch to support it because progress?

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
i don't get what's hard about getting stuff off github

like even if there isn't just a simple 'yeah just download the latest release from the releases and install it/extract it', they'll have instructions otherwise

people are already too computer illiterate as it is

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
they'll have instructions otherwise

Under construction.

And when they're not, the steps are often uselessly vague and involve tools most people don't already have. For someone who already routinely builds software for fun and has all the necessary tools to do it, cool. But every project is going to be somebody's first, and when the instructions say shit like "Now configure the file with your own settings", nobody who's doing it for the first time is even going to know what settings they need let alone how to do it.

Top Bottom