The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Sure, but they ultimately got to decide the terms of those contracts, and if "we get to modify the games' controls to better suit the needs of our players" wasn't one of them, that's nobody's fault but their own. I can't imagine that having been a dealbreaker for anyone.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Honestly I just can't imagine playing the N64 NSO games without the NSO N64 controller.

Yes, I am a defender of the N64 controller. It's a good controller and I genuinely think you get a worse experience playing N64 games using other controller layouts because the games on the platform were designed around the controller and its layout.

(Mind you I'm also someone who just doesn't play the NSO N64 games that often because I just emulate them on my laptop at a better performance than what Nintendo gives us using CRT shaders for that authentic 1990s feel but like if I want to play them on my Switch I use the N64 controller lol)

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
That may be true for the majority of them, but even Rare wasn't confident that it was the best way to play GoldenEye. That's why they concocted that absurd alternate scheme where you have to hold one controller in each hand. They knew dual analog was the future.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I tried setting that controller layout up using my 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ controller once in an emulator to get dual analog controls in GoldenEye using a dual analog controller

Never figured out how to do it and I didn't care enough to figure it out lol

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
That may be true for the majority of them, but even Rare wasn't confident that it was the best way to play GoldenEye. That's why they concocted that absurd alternate scheme where you have to hold one controller in each hand. They knew dual analog was the future.
Y’all should go back and read some of the reviews for Alien Resurrection on the original PlayStation. Some reviewers tore it APART for its awkward control scheme.

A control scheme that became standard a couple years later with Halo and most other FPS titles.

Glitch

Citizen
Five games that SHOULD come to N64 mature:
Body Harvest
Mortal Kombat 4
Resident Evil 2
Duke Nukem 64
Conkers Bad Fur Day

Okay they're all a long shot and we do get Duke Nukem 3D on eshop but they'd be fab.

As for Perfect Dark and Goldeneye, I really would hope Nintendo could arrange for them to come to eshop remastered with enhanced and gyroscopic controls like Turok, Quake and Doom.

Blot

Citizen
Y’all should go back and read some of the reviews for Alien Resurrection on the original PlayStation. Some reviewers tore it APART for its awkward control scheme.

A control scheme that became standard a couple years later with Halo and most other FPS titles.
The same reviews also pointed out that dual analog was vastly inferior to just using a keyboard and mouse, so....

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Five games that SHOULD come to N64 mature:
Body Harvest
Mortal Kombat 4
Resident Evil 2
Duke Nukem 64
Conkers Bad Fur Day

Okay they're all a long shot and we do get Duke Nukem 3D on eshop but they'd be fab.

As for Perfect Dark and Goldeneye, I really would hope Nintendo could arrange for them to come to eshop remastered with enhanced and gyroscopic controls like Turok, Quake and Doom.
Duke 64's different enough from 3D to warrant being alongside it, though I'd rather get it in a proper big collection release not locked to the damn Evercade.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I dunno. Wasn't Duke Nukem 64 basically a censored version of Duke Nukem 3D?
Largely, but the developer did do some significant work with several level remixes and some new weapons and graphics. I think it's different enough to be interesting, but not different enough that I see anyone going out of their way to get the game back out on the Online Pass.

If anything, I think the RE2 port should take priority. Not only was it a great port, but Capcom has been, sort of, "vaulting" the original RE games as they get remade. Right now, the only way to legally play the first 3 games as they were, is to go through GOG. Otherwise, the option are the remakes. And in the Switch's case, those remakes are only available as "cloud" titles.

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I dunno. Wasn't Duke Nukem 64 basically a censored version of Duke Nukem 3D?
Censored, yes - but also fully 3D environments, the ability to save the imprisoned girls, and some weapon and level changes.

Though, I'd want as many of the variations of 3D on a theoretical collection as possible, just for the hell of it. Even the totally dogshit game.com and zodiac ones.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
It's honestly wild how that XBLA remaster of GoldenEye is just like...gone basically.

I mean it ain't lost lost, a near final build was leaked a few years ago and you can play it on the Xenia emulator if you're on Windows, but as far as the official rereleases goes, it's just the original N64 version of the game.

Glitch

Citizen
I'm getting a Skinamarink vibe from Emio of which you'll get the concept in the Youtube short: Heck.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Saw this on a release slate a couple weeks ago, but I wasn’t sure if I believe it, but…
Namco is releasing a port of Ace Combat 7. Scratch that, it was released yesterday, July 11. Five years after the game’s original release on eighth gen systems (PS4, XB1), Namco has dropped the Switch port on us.

Thing is, the port itself isn’t a huge surprise to me (we’ve seen a number of PS3/4 gen titles get solid ports to the Switch years after the fact). What has surprised me is how low key BandaiNamco have been about the entire release. I didn’t even have a clue about the port until I saw it on a release schedule. And from the trailer, it looks like a passable port, so I’m baffled as to why even Nintendo didn’t show it off during the last direct. They gave coverage to the garbage ports WB has been putting out, and this, at least, looks like a better effort.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
That just reminds me of the one thing Nintendo absolutely 100% needs to have on their next console: analog triggers

It's just ridiculous that Nintendo refuses to do this tbh.

(And this is a personal thing but it makes using my 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ mildly more annoying because I use it on both my laptop and my Switch but if I had it paired to my Switch and then connect it to my laptop, it automatically detects as a Switch Pro controller which means that now the analog shoulder triggers are just detected as digital buttons because, of course, the Switch and its controllers do not have analog triggers and therefore I have to turn it in X-input mode to get it to work properly with the analog triggers - albeit sans vibration because I use Linux btw and vibration doesn't work on Linux for some reason - but then when I want to use it on my Switch, I will have to re-pair it with that and then go through this whole rigamarole constantly depending on what I want to play on. I WOULDN'T HAVE THIS ISSUE IF THE SWITCH HAD ANALOG TRIGGERS TBH, I could just leave it in Switch mode all the time and it would work fine on my Switch and my laptop. ARGH)

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Royal shame Nintendo dropped them after the GameCube. Kinda wonder what their reasoning was.

What flavor of Linux are you running, btw. My SN30 PRO+ has working rumble, at least in Steam games, on Arch Linux. It occasionally glitches out, though and WON'T STOP rumbling until I force it to turn off.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Royal shame Nintendo dropped them after the GameCube. Kinda wonder what their reasoning was.

What flavor of Linux are you running, btw. My SN30 PRO+ has working rumble, at least in Steam games, on Arch Linux. It occasionally glitches out, though and WON'T STOP rumbling until I force it to turn off.

Some patent troll sued them back in the day over like every fuckin feature in standard controllers (they also sued Microsoft too IIRC) and while they originally lost the suit (it was later overturned), I guess they just decided that it wasn't worth it anymore in case some other patent troll dipshit shows up and causes a huge hassle for them.

(Also the original Classic Controller, which launched with the Wii, had analog L+R buttons but the Classic Controller Pro, released in 2009 after Nintendo lost that lawsuit, replaced them with digital L+R buttons instead)

I use Linux Mint, I did get rumble working once and by 'working' I mean I accidentally turned it on to D-input mode and then it just started vibrating like mad and wouldn't stop after I plugged it in (I have had far too many issues using it via BT on Mint, so I just use it wired)

Top Bottom