Transformers: Age of the Primes toyline discussion Update with Commander and Titan listings

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
At least you guys still actually have any TRUs anymore.
I'm sad now 😔

They're exercises in disappointment, and I get most of my transformers from amazon, BBTS or gamestop these days. They lost a massive amount of buying power and clout when the american division shuttered, and if weren't for the fact that their major competition in canada is walmart: whom does not update the toy isle between january and october, they would have ALSO gone out of business up here.

Would you rather a happy memory or a shambling corpse?
I'm even more sad! 😭

Last time I made it back home to Ontario before the pandemic was for a friend's birthday and I hit up a Toys R Us both to see what stuff was available in Canada and just to hit one up again since they all closed in the States. And it definitely felt like the good old days of TRU.

The pandemic kept me away for a good three years almost, and the last few times I've been back home I haven't had the chance to go.
Hearing what Canadian TRU has become is just... just very disheartening.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
YMMV, quebec is poorer than most provinces: so maybe they're doing better otherwhere. I'm only commenting on the local ones.

Badgertron

Citizen
I'm sure it's still a great place for kids with varied interests. They're still enormous toy stores. I'm still just having trouble wrapping my head around a toy store deciding to no longer carry video games as if they never existed, saying that everything's going to digital, just to bring DVD's in? Feels like a blockbuster moment to me, IDK.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'm sure it's still a great place for kids with varied interests. They're still enormous toy stores. I'm still just having trouble wrapping my head around a toy store deciding to no longer carry video games as if they never existed, saying that everything's going to digital, just to bring DVD's in? Feels like a blockbuster moment to me, IDK.

Physical copy sales are in serious decline these days and some in entertainment see physical copies as no longer useful as its all about streaming, my local Supermarket stopped selling physical media and used the space for something else, no idea what as its a apart of the store upper level and they blocked it off so one cannot see what goes on in that part, but my guess is, that its related to home deliveries, so getting physical media, is no longer easy, at least brand new, only one store where I live, now sells physical media and its all used, at least in bulk, other wise, its just whatever people give away to the charty shops in my town! I doult physical media will completely die out but only select places will sell it and honestly, I can see in the future game consoles, simply dying out or becoming just a small package of parts, like a USB stick and all you need is a internet connection and some batteries for the controllers, at least for home gaming, while handheld will be on the phone or tablet, thou this is simply my view

Undead Scottsman

Citizen
Art for the 13 in Transformers One is out (via trading cards) and some of these are actually pretty unique designs for these characters. I wonder if they'll influence the design of the upcoming Generations line-up

No story spoilers but I'll toss them behind a spoiler tag just in case someone doesn't want to get spoiled on the line-up or what they look like.
Prima - About what you'd expect, primarily white with gold secondary colors. Also no facemask, but still has a sword.

Vector Prime: Looks like a less detailed (no clockwork) and less colorful (primarily white with gold again) varient of the Cybertron version. Also has two swords?

Solus Prime: She's lost the "forge apron" look and is just kind of generic now. As a Purple/yellow colorscheme that reminds me of sideways and of course has her hammer.

Amalgamous Prime: Here's where things start getting weird, Amalgamous has no head, but he has abig shockwave-style chest that I think is his eye. He also has four arms and weilds a staff. Steel grey with yellow and black highlights.

Nexus Prime: Just looks like a dude, nothing says "combiner" to me. Priamrily blue with some yellow and white highlights, wielding a gun and shield.

Micronus Prime: He's a little gorilla-shaped bot now, VERY burly. Has a big spiked mace and primariluy blueish grey with yellow highlights.

Quintus Prime: Stands on four, spider-like legs with si arms.Green color scheme, no mouth. Doesn't have a weapon but has little wings and a yellow head crest that looks like it'd be more home on Loki Liege Maximo.

Alchemist Prime: This is kind of why I made this post. Alchemist reminds me of Bumblebee. He's not particularly bulky, but does have the four eyes. Primarily green with yellow highlights and wields what looks like a sharp hammer.

Zeta prime: reminds me of ultra magnus if tou took off his kibble. Primarily blue with yellow highlights and wields an axe.

Alpha Trion: They went with the moss covered version, instead of him in his "Prime" interestingly enough.

Megatronus: Very purple, very Tarn-like. No only has a fusion canon but wields a trident as well. Also looks more heroically proportions than being a straight up bruiser.

Onyx Prime: No longer a centaur, he does have hoof-like animalistic legs. Primarily dark blue with gold and silver highlights, with big slatted wings and wields a double bladed staff of some sort.

Liege Maximo: This one is bonkers.. he looks like Prima's sidekick. Primarily white with gold highlights and wielding a sword. He has a little crest that I guess could be inspired by his horns, but this very much looks like someone noticed how much he looked like Loki and decided to nix that.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
I wonder if they'll influence the design of the upcoming Generations line-up
First off, thanks for these! I've been waiting to see dedicated artwork of these models.

To this point though... I think Hasbro would keep TF One designs to Studio Series and leave the Generations releases to pull from comics and tv shows.
That would ingenuously allow them to double dip on most of these characters.

NovaSaber

Citizen
I think the only ones of these I wouldn't mind having some influence on Age of the Primes are Prima, Amalgamous, and Quintus (the ones who don't have existing designs I like anyway), and maybe the colors for Onyx and Solus.
(I actually like this Onyx Prime design, but I want the centaur-ish design to get a toy too. And between the two, the centaur feels more like "the original beast".)
These designs for Liege Maximo and Nexus Prime pretty much drop their entire visual identies so those are the worst.

Last edited:

TriBlurr

Citizen
More Age of Primes listings courtesy of Jtprime17.

Highlights:

Commander Class Silverbolt
Titan Star Optimus Prime (Star Convoy)
Walmart Retro Capsule Dlx Seaspray

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Star Convoy as a Titan? I don’t want a Metroplex or Tidal Wave sized version. I feel like Commander class could have suited him better, unless it’s the extra parts for the base mode / trailer. In that case, I hope he would scale well (slightly taller?) than SS86 Prime.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I'm not sure how I feel about Star Convoy as a titan. I mean, yeah, we know it's gonna be cool. No doubt about that, but at the same time, even in a 'scale doesn't matter' toy line, he's going to be so big there's no way he can really interact with any of the figures I'd want him to in a meaningful way. Like, I have that Super Megatron. He's bloody fantastic. What the hell is he going to do with a titan Star Convoy?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Yeah, Titan Class Star Convoy is an almost certain pass, as I can't justify an Optimus at that scale.

I think it might be best to wait and see what he looks like, first, of course, after that, we would need a Super Megatron to pair along side of him and then Megatron can truly look down upon Starscream! 😁

Cybersnark

Citizen
YMMV, quebec is poorer than most provinces: so maybe they're doing better otherwhere. I'm only commenting on the local ones.
The TRU at the Dufferin Mall in Toronto seemed okay a few months ago (the last time I was there). I think the video game section is still there (I don't game, so I just ignore that part of the store). The TF section was pitiful, but that's normal. It's mostly a Babies'R'Us at this point, which does seem like the better economic investment (there will always always be new parents who need strollers, diapers, and toddler toys).

Notably, the Dufferin Mall also has a Walmart, a GameStop, and another dedicated toy store (that seems to largely sell overstock from other retailers), so brick'n'mortar sales are still happening.

Top Bottom