Transformers: Age of the Primes toyline discussion Update with Commander and Titan listings

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Silverbolt is no surprise, but Star Convoy is. He’s a definite “wait and see”. I can see them addressing him multiple ways, from simply a “big boi” to some sort of combination gimmick (incorporating a smaller robot combining with his trailer). I wouldn’t be surprised if a “micro Hot Rod” didn’t make the cut either.

I’m almost certain that the G2 Dinobots Selects listing is a leader 4 pack of the other Dinobots in G2 colors. Grimlock in G2 colors is confirmed, and it makes sense Hasbro would do a big set like that to “get them out of the way” so they don’t have to try and spend the next 3-5 years slotting in G2 Dinobots in Generations.
Sadly, that means a $200-250 upfront cost for the entire group PLUS Grimlock at retail.

The “Retro Inspired” are probably the “modern toys in classic packaging” I was banking on seeing THIS year. Brawn is an easy repaint/retool of the SS figure, but there hasn’t been a new Seaspray since Titans Return. Sounds like another Cosmos situation, but after seeing Hasbro do a “reissue wave”, I’m less concerned about getting him than I might be.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I admit I don't know much about Star Convoy. But isn't he supposed to be huge? Maybe I'm wrong there. I'll wait and see though.
He is supposed to be about Combiner-sized, but not Cityformer-sized. The height of Siege Jetfire would have been perfect for him.

My only hope for this Star Convoy is that it's less of an actual Titan and more of a "Titan class in name only", as in a Commander class-sized figure but made with the budget of a Titan.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
He is supposed to be about Combiner-sized, but not Cityformer-sized. The height of Siege Jetfire would have been perfect for him.

My only hope for this Star Convoy is that it's less of an actual Titan and more of a "Titan class in name only", as in a Commander class-sized figure but made with the budget of a Titan.
Thinking about it, this is more my guess. Jetfire size but with extra parts to warrant Titan price point. Hopefully that means a new core class Hot Rod, or even a recolor of the Kingdom version (I would think that would save money). That's who I put with my Selects Star Convoy from a few years back.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I want Star Convoy, but I don't really have room for a sixth titan.

...I also promised my wife that G1 Fort Max would be the last, unless our way of living got a major boost.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Star Convoy on his own is a fairly straightforward idea for a Commander. A Titan would have to come with a Grandus. Star Convoy by himself with electronic gimmickery is not worth that bump up, not that this has really been a thing for Titans in a long time anyway. (I'm gonna be extremely salty if a Micro Hot Rod is locked behind a Titan tier and the Star Convoy itself is meh. And that includes an unnecessarily Titan sized leggy Optimus Prime.)

Seaspray... Yeah, seems like another Cosmos/VW Bumblebee situation where Walmart gets an apparently new mold as an exclusive. Just stop already.

G2 Dinobots may well be the rest of the Leaders, but that's gonna be a hefty price tag for all of them. But if by some miracle it's a Dinoking style pack of the Core class ones, I'm all over THAT.

Retro inspired stuff might be interesting. But idk if I'll (be able to) rebuy much. But give me an SS86 Hot Rod in G1 style packaging and I'll talk myself into getting two. That mold is dearly due for a package refresh anyway.

TriBlurr

Citizen
If the Dinos are indeed Leader Class molds, I could see it just being Slag and Snarl to go with the G2 Grimlock. A 4 pack of leaders seems a bit bananas.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't mean to join in the spiting, but I'd somewhat prefer this to getting all the Leader class dinos again.

Same? I don't really need to rebuy all the Leader class figures in G2 decos (though I don't begrudge anyone that DOES want that), but I personally probably would buy a multipack of the Legends scale figures in G2 deco with the extra Dinoking parts that I could use on either the G1 or G2 version of Volcanicus.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
If the Dinos are indeed Leader Class molds, I could see it just being Slag and Snarl to go with the G2 Grimlock. A 4 pack of leaders seems a bit bananas.
I mean, we DID just get a 5 pack of classic 84 characters. 4 Leaders is certainly pushing it…but it’s also not like Hasbro’s got a huge slate for Selects in general these days.

My thought process basically boils down to: with the revelation of the G2 art sheets, and the existence of “wave 2 Grimlock” from the Toxitron Collection, people are going to want ALL FOUR. Even if Hasbro just did the “retail” pair of Snarl and Slag, people will still hark for “the other two” to go with the Toxitron Grimlock.

Then again, maybe Hasbro will gauge sales of the retail pair before going forward with the unproduced pair?
Same? I don't really need to rebuy all the Leader class figures in G2 decos (though I don't begrudge anyone that DOES want that), but I personally probably would buy a multipack of the Legends scale figures in G2 deco with the extra Dinoking parts that I could use on either the G1 or G2 version of Volcanicus.
I mean…nobody seemed really “happy” with the Core Dinobots. And it was blatantly obvious they were “subsidizing” the cost to do Dinoking. I’m just not sure I see much of a purpose in a “G2 Volcanicus” aside from the novelty.

Oddball theory on Star Convoy:
I’ve pretty much said my working theory with Cyberworld is a “Core Class product line”. I wonder if Star Convoy might not be a “crossover” offering with the ability to interact with that product line?

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The purpose is to get all the G2 decos out there (and squeeze out one more use of those molds) without having to try to sell multiple Leader class price point toys.

But idk, who knows anymore. These days the latter is probably something they're just as willing to do. And there was that Leader class G2 Grimlock listing, wasn't there? Supposedly G2 blue?

Funny enough, prior to that supposed release, the ones it would make sense to release first to complete a set would be Sludge and Swoop, whose unreleased decos would go with Toxitron Grimlock's.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
For the love of god give retro Brawn clear windows.
Given how Brawn is engineered, it would not end well.

Hope he has the toy green though. The Studio Series baby poo green is growing on me but I actually had a G1 Brawn and I really like hisdeep forest green.

Shadewing

Citizen
Given how Brawn is engineered, it would not end well.

Hope he has the toy green though. The Studio Series baby poo green is growing on me but I actually had a G1 Brawn and I really like hisdeep forest green.

A retro styled Brawn, should never have clear windows. Becuase G1 Brawn didn't have clear windows. I do wonder if he'll have a remolded toyetic head.

Top Bottom