Transformers: Age of the Primes toyline discussion Update with Commander and Titan listings

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I am amused by the idea of Hasbro trying to sell a character named "Sky Garry" on his own. Like sure, as part of a massive three pack it could be "STAR OPTIMUS PRIME AND THE ASTRO AUTOBOT STRIKE FORCE" or something but just selling a robot named "Garry" on his own is funny to me.
They don't have to keep the name. They could easily change Sky Garry's name like how the old guard changed Stepper to "Ricochet" back in the day.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Isn't a prominent theory is that it's meant to be "Sky Carry" but it got a little mangled in the translation?

I think it's a Japanese grammar thing? The katakana for "kya" in "carry" becomes "gya" with the addition of the dakuten ("), probably due to the sounds its following? (It has been many years since I actually studied Japanese)

Machine Robo has the Jet Garry and Machine Robo Rescue had Siren Garry, which are both essentially carriers for smaller figures, so it has to be a grammatical quirk because it follows another word. I think, if "carry" was the lead word, it would use "kya" without the dakuten. I think.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Full disclosure, there have been no actual leaks or rumors regarding any real release of Sky Garry in this line. This is all just wild speculation on our part related to the equally wild speculation about whether Titan class Star Optimus Prime will just be Star Convoy by himself (giant-sized or a really intricate smaller figure given a Titan-level budget) or a multi-pack of him with either one or both of Grandus and Sky Garry (in a vein similar to how the next SS86 Commander class release will be a two-pack set of Hook and Long Haul).

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Honestly, I'm only expecting Star Convoy. Micromaster Hot Rod is possible, but I'm not confident there.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I think it's a Japanese grammar thing? The katakana for "kya" in "carry" becomes "gya" with the addition of the dakuten ("), probably due to the sounds its following? (It has been many years since I actually studied Japanese)

Machine Robo has the Jet Garry and Machine Robo Rescue had Siren Garry, which are both essentially carriers for smaller figures, so it has to be a grammatical quirk because it follows another word. I think, if "carry" was the lead word, it would use "kya" without the dakuten. I think.
It’s probably a pop culture Japan-ism. Like how they use Scram for random jet components that have nothing to do with nuclear power or leaving, or Harken for anything vaguely pointy.

It’s as simple as somebody thought it sounded cool so they used it once and other people thought it also sounded cool. The creator probably couldn’t tell you what it means, nor do they care.

Last edited:

NovaSaber

Citizen
It’s probably a pop culture Japan-ism. Like how they use Scram for random jet components that have nothing to do with nuclear power or leaving,
Those would be referring to the actual word "scramjet" which also has nothing to do with either meaning of "scram".

or Harken for anything vaguely pointy.
That's meant to be Haken (German for "hook") and just near-consistently romanized stupidly.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Sure, if you want them to get stabbed by insane mama's boy with a a 10 foot sword.
I mean, we're talking about Sky Garry Aeris here. He'd probably barely even register a 10 foot sword as an actual weapon. For him, that would be like getting stabbed by a steak knife made out of cartilage.

Top Bottom