What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

Axaday

Citizen
Why does George Soros load up a plane with "disproportionately black women" and why is that detail important to Vance's point?

If he is saying that a random sample of women who want abortions in Columbus would be disproportionately black (I have not idea if that is accurate, but it is possible since both are disproportionately in poverty) would it make a difference if Soros was loading up a plane full of white women? Or is George Soros going to target black women?

This George Soros character is fascinating, that's for sure.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Because they still like using rich nonagenarian Soros as a boogieman and are trying to imply that the whole situation is an attempt to reduce the black population so they can say 'see, the Dems are more racist than we are'. It's stupid, but I'm pretty sure that's their line of thought.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
They know their base is heavy on racists. Associating something with another race is an easy way to say it's bad. They have to keep their points simple and direct because their base is very, very, very stupid.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
A little less than half of us aren't. Trump has never gotten more than 50% of the vote. Only reason he won the first time is because of the archaic electoral college system we still use.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
And the only reason he got that much is because of perennially low voter turn out. When less than 50% of the eligible voters bother: even a secure system is ripe for abuse and exploitation.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
You're not wrong, I am feeling significantly better about the state affairs than I did a week ago. But it's still just math: the US has dealt with fairly low voter turn out in the majority of elections. Most cases where you aren't is because of extenuating circumstance... like making sure trump doesn't get another mandate.

Americans usually do the right thing... eventually. On the whole: you ARE good, kind, caring individuals. But you all also got a ******* mean streak in there that gets largely ignored until it's too late and time to clean up the mess.

Axaday

Citizen
You're not wrong, I am feeling significantly better about the state affairs than I did a week ago. But it's still just math: the US has dealt with fairly low voter turn out in the majority of elections. Most cases where you aren't is because of extenuating circumstance... like making sure trump doesn't get another mandate.

Americans usually do the right thing... eventually. On the whole: you ARE good, kind, caring individuals. But you all also got a ******* mean streak in there that gets largely ignored until it's too late and time to clean up the mess.
I had forgotten that you were Canadian.

I recently learned that Article 11 of the Articles of Confederation was just to say that Canada (really Quebec) was preapproved to join whenever they wanted. But it didn't get reiterated when we wrote the Constitution.

As a teenaged Star Trek fan, I supposed that every country would eventually join the Unites States. Puerto Rico officially voted to become a state 4 years ago and nothing has been done. The GOP Senate wouldn't even have a vote and I guess the House of Representatives wouldn't either even now. It is just as well that Canada hasn't come knocking. Imagine what would happen if 10 Canadian provinces turned up asking for 10 Senators and 22 Electoral Votes! Nothing, that's what. We may never have another state.

---Side note on what is already side note - It is weird to think about it that "The 13 Colonies" were just the 13 colonies that banded together. Quebec, Nova Scotia, and two Florida colonies were also British colonies over here who just said, "You know what? We're okay"

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

Citizen
History really does look different when you look at all the facts and then take them in context, yeah?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
And on the flip side, every now and then, I hear people say things like "If America had just never declared independence, we'd all be Canadian now and everything would be perfect!" I wonder sometimes...

wonko the sane?

Citizen
If canada had access to american population, technology, economy and culture: we'd probably look more like you do now than you would look like us.

Functionally: the only difference between canada and the US (in terms of culture.) is fewer guns, and we apologize after we beat your ass down.

Axaday

Citizen
The climate might account for the chill.

Edit - We do feel the love though. The vast majority of Americans live near saltwater. The vast majority of Canadians live near the USA.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The climate might account for the chill.

Edit - We do feel the love though. The vast majority of Americans live near saltwater. The vast majority of Canadians live near the USA.
Ha, no. We're polite cause we don't want anyone to call us out on war crimes.

We've... we've turned the geneva convention into a bucket list. Don't go to war against us. You might win in the long: but we'll make damn sure it's pyrrhic victory without ever touching nukes.

Top Bottom